Tuesday 22 May 2012




I am enjoying painting abstract forms in monochrome.  It is interesting working out how to place the circle
on the picture plane to convey the sense of 'infinity' .....to try to convey 'infinity' with finite means ......I think
it works best when the circle/circles don't quite fit into the finite space ..... that is the edge of the picture
plane cuts off part of it ...... saying in effect this is too big to comprehend......

I am struck by the effect of the monochrome and how it lends itself to the sense of vastness in a cosmic
way and I like the austere effects I can create.

This week I am reading Malevich and whilst he painted squares mainly his observations on the basic forms:
squares, circles and crosses are proving to be useful. I like his 'White on White' works and the more recent work of Ellsworth Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment